- This position forms part of the Statutory Building Unit within the Infrastructure and Planning Group
- Permanent Full Time Position as an Assistant Flood Assessment Officer within the Statutory Building Team
- Salary Range 4A to 4D Depending on Experience
About the business & role
The Statutory Building Team is currently seeking applications to appoint an Assistant Flood Assessment Officer.
The team consists of a Senior Flood Assessment Officer, Assistant Flood Assessment Officer and a Technical Officer. The department receives 2,000 flood applications per year and customers include property owners, building practitioners, Melbourne Water and internal staff.
You will be required to assist the Statutory Building Team in protecting the health, safety and amenity of occupants and the public within the Shire and to ensure compliance with building regulations through effective and responsive solutions to flooding and drainage issues associated with building development proposals.
Job Tasks & Responsibilities
- Assess applications for Report and Consent for building work in flood areas or in designated land or works. Stipulate mitigation requirements to minimise the impact of flooding on the building work.
- Prepare assessment reports for the Municipal Building Surveyor (MBS) to enable report and consent approval.
- Attend site inspections to analyse flood prone applications or to assist other Council officers, as required.
- Collaborate with Melbourne Water’s Land Development Team and Hydraulic Engineers to develop an understanding of each other’s assessment practices and guidelines.
- Answer incoming calls, attend to counter enquiries and respond to emails in a professional and timely manner.
- Ensure that clear, accurate and consistent information is provided to customers.
- Train new staff in policies and procedures.
Skills & Experience
- Ability to interpret maps, construction plans and hydrodynamic reports.
- Ability to produce technical reports with complete representation of flood computation levels.
- Knowledge of topographic contours and the relationship with water-flow principles.
- Knowledge of the Building Act, Water Act, Building Regulations and associated Australian Standards and Codes.
- Successful completion of Year 11 or higher qualification and/or demonstrated practical experience in a regulatory role.
- Demonstrated experience in a customer service delivery environment.
- A valid Employee Working with Children Check, with the Mornington Peninsula Shire registered as an employer.
- An Australian Criminal History Check.
- A valid Driver’s Licence.
For a confidential discussion about this exciting opportunity, please contact David Kotsiakos Manager of Statutory Building on, 5950 1144
Enquiries: Sally Hall
Applications Close: 16/02/2018
To view the position description or submit your application please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.