- Opportunity to implement fire risk reduction and protect the natural environment
About the business & role
The Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Natural Systems Team is seeking a suitably qualified and experienced Bushland Fire Management Officer to oversee fire management works contracts and be a point of contact for residents, community groups and visitors to assist in building a resilient fire aware community.
The successful applicant will have a sound knowledge of fire behaviour and fuel management techniques as well as an understanding of biodiversity and cultural heritage protection and experience monitoring and auditing contract delivery.
Job Tasks & Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the role include:
- working to deliver quality cost effective services from the Shire’s fire management contractors;
- ensuring high quality management of bushland reserves through compliance with agreed works programs, standards, procedures, specifications and quality workmanship;
- consultation with both internal and external stakeholders to develop a strong Shire community engagement program;
- have the ability to lead, motivate, counsel and negotiate difficult and complex situations whilst pursuing and achieving organisation-wide goals and policies;
- have the ability to discuss and resolve problems both internally and externally combined with strong verbal and written communication skills;
- be proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this position you will have:
- a Diploma of Natural Resource Management (or similar) and relevant experience;
- Bushfire fighter or similar training or experience;
- experience working with residents and communities;
- a current Victorian Driver’s Licence;
- a valid Working with Children Check.
Applicants must be prepared to undertake a Police Records Check.
For a confidential discussion regarding this exciting job opportunity, please contact Simon Thorning, on 03 5950 1275.