- Permanent Full Time Position as a Statutory Building Compliance Investigator
- Salary Range $125,000 per annum including Superannuation and Vehicle, Band 7 annualised.
- This position forms part of the Statutory Building Unit within the Infrastructure and Planning Group
About the business & role
Exciting opportunity in a newly created position within the Statutory Building Unit.
The primary purpose is the position is to investigate alleged breaches of the Building related Legislation to assist in ensuring that prosecutions are conducted in a clear and transparent manner in accordance with Shire policy, procedures and objectives.
Job Tasks & Responsibilities
- Assist the in-house Prosecutions Officer in the co-ordination of prosecution matters
- Assist in the preparation and review briefs of evidence submitted by officers and provide technical advice to ensure success of prosecutions, providing feedback and guidance to Authorised officers in preparation of prosecution cases
- Approve routine briefs and prepare associated paperwork for prosecution cases in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Interview alleged perpetrators of breaches of the Building Legislation ensuring that Council complies with all requirements as a model litigant
- Assist in and facilitate the preparation of relevant paperwork related to search warrants, statements, affidavits and other required documents
- Attend courts, tribunals and other legal proceedings to act as Informant and Witness and where appropriate, facilitate legal representation on behalf of Council
- Liase with other stakeholder organisations (ie: VBA)
Skills & Experience
- Possess a working knowledge of the administrative and enforcement section of the Building Act, Local Government Act, Evidence Act, Magistrates Court Act and other related Legislation (Regulation, Building Code of Australia)
- A demonstrated knowledge of the Criminal legal system and processes
- Demonstrated skills in investigation and interview techniques
- Ability to self manage competing demand in a busy work environment
- At least 3 years experience in a similar related investigative role
- Ability to wok collegiately with other team members, the community and other stakeholders
- Applicants must hold a valid Working with Children check prior to commencing employment with the Mornington Peninsula Shire and be prepared to undertake a Police Records Check.
For a confidential discussion about this exciting opportunity, please contact David Kotsiakos, Manager Statutory Building 5950 1144.
Enquiries: David Kotsiakos
To view the position description or submit your application please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.