About the business and the role
Mornington Peninsula Shire is seeking a qualified and skilled individual to join the Fire Prevention & Emergency Management team to assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and review of its Fire and Emergency Management programs, policies, and activities across the Shire.
The position works primarily in Fire Prevention and Emergency Management to ensure the Shire meets its legislative requirements under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958, Emergency Management Act 1989 and Emergency Management Act 2013.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Key functions of the role include:
- working collaboratively with internal teams to develop fire management standards and guidelines to support a community engagement program focussing on fire management property preparation
- undertaking the statutory roles, duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Municipal Fire Prevention Officer (AMFPO) and the Deputy Municipal Emergency Management Officer (MERO)
- assisting in coordinating the annual Fire Prevention Inspection Program
- inputting and formulating fire and emergency management policies
- providing technical fire management advice and to internal and external stakeholders.
- identifying grant opportunities and coordinating grant funded programs focussing on fire management and community engagement
- assisting in the preparation of budget submissions
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will have:
- an understanding of relevant fire and emergency management legislation and the contextual environment in which Local Government operates
- the ability to coordinate staff undertaking fire prevention inspections to achieve specific objectives within a tight timeframe
- technical skills and knowledge of plant identification and application of ecologically-sound fuel management treatments
- the ability to build positive working relationships with colleagues and the community
- well-developed organisational and time management skills
- the ability to work within an emergency response environment
- excellent written and verbal communication and community engagement skills
- a tertiary qualification in fire management planning or relevant discipline
- technical experience in fuel management works treatments
- hold an Employer Working with Children Check
- be prepared to undertake a Criminal History Check
- have a valid Driver’s licence
For a confidential discussion regarding this exciting job opportunity, please contact Katie McKenzie on 03 5950 1050.