The Diggers Club is Australia’s largest gardening club with over 70,000 members and over 100 staff. Based on the Mornington Peninsula with a wholesale nursery, mail order/e-commerce business, two gardens, two cafes, four retail shops and historic properties, this growing business is expanding and requires an experienced Seed Product Manager to join its team.
In the role of Seed Product Manager, you will be responsible for effectively and efficiently procuring, selecting, selling and maintaining our seed selections for catalogue, web & retail sales and increase market share and profitability.
Reporting directly to the Director of Horticulture, this role is a permanent full time role of 37.5 hours per week.
Key responsibilities include:
- To manage all seed purchasing for The Diggers Club including all bulk seed buying for packet sales, for the internal plant production nursery and for our preservation and show gardens.
- In conjunction with Trials Manager, to research and purchase new seed products for the Diggers offer, prioritising heirloom and organic seeds where profit margins can be maintained.
- To help to coordinate, in conjunction with the Operations Manager, the seed packing team to ensure that all packet seed is packed in line with best practice.
- To prepare and submit an annual Sales Plan (catalogue, retail and web) combined with an annual Purchasing and Production plan, incorporating the seed products and identifying the key objectives and strategies for sales and profit
- To manage the performance of the Seed Department in a business context including effective cost control and meeting internal and external stakeholders needs
- To work with Trials and Production manager to ensure for quality control and integrity of seeds through testing of new lines, germ testing and comprehensive data reports.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Demonstrable experience in working with seeds or in a similar product management role.
- Qualifications in Horticulture or related discipline; highly advantageous
- A proven track record in a sales environment – able to set and achieve targets.
- A strong knowledge and passion for seeds and gardening as well as a working knowledge of the international seed industry with an established network within the industry; advantageous, but not essential.
- A sound working knowledge of quarantine import requirements and procedures; advantageous, but not essential.
- Sound financial and analysis skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly enhanced organisational skills with the ability to work to tight and conflicting deadlines
- Have a flexible and adaptable approach and be a problem solver
- Have the ability to work autonomously but also wider in a team context
This is a really exciting opportunity for a driven and dynamic person who can step into this role and continue to further the seeds department.
If you are interested in this position then please apply through phone Ines or Elizabeth for further information on (03) 5984 7933.